Pipe backups and breakages are one of the most unsettling problems to handle as a homeowner. If you detect indications that there could be a problem with your sewer main, it’s vital to address the issue right away to avoid risking a much worse problem. Here are some indications to keep an eye out for:
- You can smell sewage in your yard
- Sewage smell emits from any of your drains
- Dishwasher wastewater shows up in the sink
- Sewage travels up the bathtub drain
- Sinks and other drains drain more slowly than usual
The Most Likely Sewer Line Problems in Fairfax
Tree root overgrowth is one of the most common causes of sewer main blockage. Tree roots can infiltrate pipes, slowly but surely putting pressure on pipes and then working their way into seams. If even very small roots can make their way into joints, they can create a dam that collects material until the main halts completely. They can also increase in size, eventually causing breaks in the main. There are not many experiences that are more unpleasant than having a sewer line break on your property.
Less-frequent sewer-main problems that crop up:
- Buildup of oil, grease, or hair
- Pipe collapses
- Badly aligned pipes
- Backups caused by solid items
If you have the least bit of backflow – into sinks, bathtubs, or even toilets – the best thing to do is to stop all running water until it’’’s diagnosed and fixed. If you keep letting water pour down the drain, you risk serious flooding.
Five Star Septic Can Solve Any Household Sewer Problem in Virginia
A few final tips to keep in mind while addressing your sewer main problems:
- Determine whether your home insurance pays for sewer main line fixes. Usually, the incident has to be proven to be an accident, and sudden (as opposed to gradual wear on your sewer main). Take photos as you or your plumber uncover the problem so that you have evidence to show your insurance company.
- check how much of the sewer line work is your responsibility and how much of it is Fairfax’s. The sewer line underneath your property belongs to you, but past the Y-joint leading to the city sewer main, it’s the city that should foot the bill.
Five Star Septic of Fairfax, VA, can clean out your drains without breaking the bank. Our professional plumbers are ready to work. Contact Five Star Septic now for pipe services!