Sewage breaks or clogs are one of the most unsettling problems a homeowner will ever encounter. If you have reason to believe that there may be something wrong with your sewer line, it’s important to look into the problem right away before something much worse occurs. Here are some indications to keep an eye out for:
- Your yard smells like wastewater
- Sewage smell is coming out of a drain in the house
- Dishwasher wastewater shows up in the sink
- Sewer water emerges from the bathtub drain
- Sinks and bathtubs empty more slowly than usual
Causes of Sewer Line Problems
Tree root infiltration is one of the most frequent reasons for sewer main backups. Tree roots can infiltrate pipes, gradually putting pressure on them and then working their way into cracks. If even very small roots can make their way between joints, they can create a net that collects mass until the sewer line halts entirely. They can also increase in size, gradually creating breaks in the line. Few things are more unpleasant than having a sewer line break on your lawn.
Common sewer-main problems that we see:
- Buildup of oil, grease, or hair
- Pipe collapses
- Badly aligned pipes
- Backups caused by solid objects
If you have the least bit of backflow – into sinks, bathtubs, or even toilets – the safest way to proceed is to stop using water until it’s diagnosed and fixed. If you keep letting water pour down the drain, you risk serious flooding.
Five Star Septic Can Take Care of it All
A few final tips to consider while dealing with your sewer line problems:
- Check whether your home insurance pays for sewer main work. Usually, the damage must be proven to be an accident, as well as a sudden instance of damage (as opposed to gradual wear and tear on your sewer pipes). Take photos as you or your plumber find the problem so that you have evidence to show your insurance agent.
- While you’re having work done, consider installing a “trenchless” sewer line if you haven’t already. This convenient technology enables plumbers to remove an inner lining from your sewer line for cleaning, then slide it back into the line without destroying fences or lawns.
Five Star Septic can clean out your pipes without breaking the bank. Our licensed plumbers are ready to work. Contact Five Star Septic now for pipe services!