Sewer line breaks or clogs are one of the least-fun issues a homeowner will ever face. If you detect signs that there might be something amiss with your sewer pipe, it’s vital to address the issue immediately before it gets worse. Here are some signs to watch out for:
- You can smell sewage in your yard
- Sewage smell is coming from any of your drains
- Wastewater from the dishwasher comes up into the sink
- Sewer water travels up the bathtub drain
- Toilets and bathtubs drain more slowly than usual
Most Frequent Sewer Line Issues in Oakton
Among the most frequent reasons for sewer main blockage is root infiltration. Tree roots can encroach on pipes, slowly but surely putting pressure on pipes and then growing their way into cracks. If even very small roots can make their way into joints, they can create a wall that builds up material until the traffic comes to a complete stop. They can then continue to grow, eventually creating cracks in the main. Few things are more unpleasant than having a sewer line break on your property.
- Less-frequent sewer-main problems that come up:
- Grease buildup
- Pipe damage
- Badly aligned pipes
- Backups created by solid items
If you have the least bit of backflow – into sinks, bathtubs, or even toilets – the safest thing to do is to stop using water until it’s diagnosed and fixed. Otherwise, you risk serious flooding.
Five Star Septic Can Solve Any Household Sewer Emergency in Virginia
A few last things to consider while addressing your sewer main problems:
- Check whether your home insurance pays for sewer pipe line fixes. Often the damage has to be proven to be an accident, as well as a sudden incidence of damage (as opposed to gradual wear on your sewer pipes). Take photos as you or your plumber uncover the problem so that you have evidence to show your insurance agent.
- While you’re having work done, consider installing a “trenchless” sewer line if you don’t have one already. This convenient technology enables plumbers to take out an inner lining from your sewer line for repair, then slide it back into the pipe without damaging fences or landscaping.
Five Star Septic of Oakton, VA, can clean out your drains at a reasonable price and time estimate. Our licensed plumbers are ready to work. Contact Five Star Septic today for pipe services!